Sunday, February 14, 2010

Go-To People

I think we all have go-to people. You know...that corp group who you run to when there is a big decision, a crisis, or a problem to be solved. I really didn't realize how greatly influenced I am by my go-to people until a few days ago. As most of you know, Beth Moore is my favorite author of Bible studies, and yes, she is also one of few authors I have studied. She just has a way of saying things that cause light bulbs to go off in my head. I don't remember right this second if what I was reading came from her blog or a feature in a magazine, but the gist of it was something like as follows: some of us are all wrapped up in anger. We can't move on because wrongs haven't been righted. Justice has not been served. As a result, we just keep reliving the situation. Well, it is time to stop being held hostage by your own anger. Just cut it loose. Close the door. Walk away from it. It is high time it is over.

I read those words and thought, "Whew! Amen, sister! I wish I had read that about 5 years ago!" As soon as I, not only thought these things, but literally felt relieved, I knew I was in trouble. Why in the world would someone I have never even met have such an ability to sway my thoughts and emotions? This incident was not the first time I've ever had closure over a major life event due some three or fours words said by Beth Moore. I started wondering who else has such impact in my life. I began to think of my go-to people. Yes, I have them...am married to one of them. If I have a decision to make or am concerned over whether I've made the right decision, there are certain people I want to talk to. In addition, sometimes these people will see something in my life and feel compelled to say, "I think you need to let this one go, Heather." Most of the time, I will follow suit with their suggestions.

As I went down the list, I came to the STARTLING realization I had not included God. I could not even breathe in that moment. My churchy head screamed, "If anyone ought to be on this list, it should be God Almighty!" My heart pounded, "Search me. You know you have not been searching for answers in the Lord. Oh, you pray and you read Scriptures, but you were never really expecting answers." The Spirit cried out to my soul, "We have missed you. We have been waiting for you."

Ya'll the bottom line is I know well my go-to people. I know their likes and dislikes, their humor, their opinions. In time, I have come to trust them and love them. I am comfortable in their presence. I know they are genuine. I know them and am more intimate with them than I am God. It should not be this way. Before I started raking myself over the coals, truth spoke and said, "You have only known Me for six years. You know Me better than you did a year ago, a month ago, a day ago."

Instead of being devastated I am encouraged. I have been broken to the point of being real instead of the paper machete image the world wants to create of me. God knows my heart. He know where I am spiritually, and now so do I. The apostle Paul encouraged us to run the race. It takes time, stamina, and commitment. The reward is greater that anything known to man - an intimate relationship with the Heavenly Father. I have now consciously placed Him in my go-to group. He leaves it up to me to do so. I look forward to the day when He is the indisputable #1. It will happen, and when it does I will wonder at what point it occurred. By that point though, I'll just know Him so well I really can't even remember Him not being my go-to all along.

Praise God for His love, mercy, and patience!

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love how in the middle of showing you where you are going wrong He shows you how much He loves you and pours His grace all over you, before you get a chance to be condemned!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, your transparency and candor is such a blessing to all who read your blog Heather.

    ReplyDelete