Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Good and the Bad

Have you ever tried to make a decision about something and listed the pros and cons? There are usually two sides to every situation...as is with my conversion to Christianity. On the down side, it took me a long, long time to even understand what the words "be saved" meant. It took even longer for me to acquire salvation by asking to receive it. That long period of time meant a lot of time in the world. I have plenty of baggage. Another drawback is that I don't have years of church experience to fall back on in certain situations. When VBS rolls around, I am as excited as the kids. I've only been to three! My greatest regret, even more than all my suitcases of sin (bad description; I do not carry it around; I certainly used to though) is that I never had the chance to be a Bible driller. If I'm being honest with you, and I am, I'm big on being open, I can't name the books of the Bible. I bet I can't quote 10 verses from memory. In fact, I bet I can't quote five. I know where the table of contents page is in my Bible, and I use it! Some of you may be gasping for air. How can she not know these things and teach Sunday School??????? I didn't say I'm not working on it...

Now, a positive thing that came from my later in life conversion was that when I got it - oh, I got it! I am the most seeking searcher of saving grace on the planet! I almost hyperventilate when I do my morning (absolutely every morning) Bible reading. Every word triggers some kind of response from me whether it is encouragement, instruction, or the frequent, "Hey, I'm not talking about them. I'm talking to you." Another great thing is I am probably pretty far from burn-out. Some of you have been doing VBS for 20 years and may be experiencing a little "just going through the motions."

I'm telling you all of this pro and cons mess to share with you something very exciting that happened this week. A con became a pro, and I am so excited and so encouraged! I had a few bad days this week as is normal on this wonderful planet. One particular night, I was almost (almost I said) reduced to tears. Anyway, I finally went to bed and fell asleep. After sleeping for awhile my husband came to bed and as he rolled over said, "Don't forget about Jeremiah." Now people, I was sound asleep, but came through the fog just a little bit and said out loud, "I know the plans I have for you..."

I was so excited I couldn't go back to sleep!!! From a near coma, I quoted part of a Bible verse!!! Now, if you are a Bible driller (oh how I envy you) from back in the day, you are shaking your head at the monitor thinking, "How in the world can she not know Jeremiah 29:11?" I mean I didn't quote the whole thing, and I am so excited!!!

I'm writing this post to encourage you. Wherever you are in the Word of God, go farther. If you know it from cover to cover, do something deeper with the knowledge you have. If you've only carried it and never read it, pick a book. Read a chapter a day..just a chapter. Wherever you are in the Word of God, go farther. It is alive. God breathed life into it for the purpose of changing us, sustaining us, encouraging us, comforting us, instructing us. Don't look to the world to be filled. It hasn't filled you yet has it?

1 comment:

  1. You just made me appreciate you and your walk with our Lord even more Heather. May you never lose the child-like wonder and awe of His Word--for it is HIM.

    ReplyDelete