Monday, November 9, 2009

Soul vs. Spirit

Sometimes, well a lot of times, I need things spelled out. Things that most people get immediately, I have late in life epiphanies over. For example, your soul is your mind and emotions and THE SPIRIT is what/who was sent by God to abide us to God.

Think about that...surely some of you are like me and have to let that sink in a little. I tend to get carried away by my emotions (if my husband is reading this post he is LOL). It would, in all honesty has been, very possible that I thought the Spirit was leading me when it was my soul. I have often made decisions based on how I felt. However, as I am truly learning more about the nature of God and how He works, I've realized He has not been an emotional response but a quiet resolve in my life personally.

There is quite a difference in being totally excited and giddy over something and just knowing that you know that you know. When God is speaking to me, whether calling or correcting, it is an expression that is calm, quiet, firm, and unwavering (notice I didn't say voice...it's a heart thing for me not an ear thing). For example, there are people in my life I have forgiven and who have forgiven me. Now, we really didn't want to forgive. We wanted to roll on the floor and give new meaning to UFC cage fight. Our souls screamed, "FIGHT." Yet, there was a quiet expression that said, "forgive." But...but....but... Yet the response was simply, "Forgive."

Now, here was my opportunity to be led by the Spirit. If you read my first post, you know I haven't been a Christian long, so hearing the words "being led by the Spirit" sounded a little mysterious to me. Yet, I and maybe a lot of us, pretended we knew exactly what this meant and professed to live accordingly.

I'll let you in on a little secret, for those of you who are a little slower on the take like me. Being led by the Spirit means......OBEY! Obey His commandments. Obey His calm voice of resolve. You want to abide in Him, be protected by the strong tower, great I AM, Prince of Peace? Obey His commands. Not sure what they are? That's O.K. not only did He give us the Bible...PTL...He put cheat sheets in the back. No kidding!!!! I praise God for fourth grade when we learned how to use the table of contents, glossary, and index.

If your soul has quieted the Spirit, look up words like anger, frustrate, hurt. See how the Word ministers to your soul, heals, and restores the Spirit to its rightful place...coaching you, leading you, calling you.

1 comment:

  1. Amen on the OBEY!I saw a really neat billboard the other day that simply said, "You know that love one another thing I said? I meant it." --GOD

    ReplyDelete