Saturday, November 14, 2009

I've Been Tasered

Have you ever been tasered by Bible study? You know...you are reading and discussing along and then...WHAM...Truth smacks you upside the head like people in V8 commercials. Well, that just happened to me. In my training union class (PTL for training union and Sunday School), we are doing Beth Moore's study on the Book of Daniel. As I recently heard another lady say, "Beth Moore just speaks my language." Anyway, right there on week 4, day 3, page 81 came the moment.

In Daniel Ch. 4, King Nebuchadnezzar has had a second dream for which he calls Daniel to interpret. King Neb. calls Daniel by the name of Neb's god, Belteshazzar, yet says Daniel is filled with the Holy God. At this point, Moore asks, "Do you know someone who just does not get it? If so, how does that make you feel?" Well those two questions landed me standing in my bed hollering (it wasn't screaming or yelling. it was a definite holler), "Yes, yes I know someone who just does NOT get it, and I am F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-E-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Oh, my heart was racing in anticipation. I have been very frustrated (could you tell) over this situation for awhile, and I knew I was about to receive some wisdom.

I mean, come on. King Neb had seen three men thrown into a blazing furnace, dance around with a fourth man, and the three come out not even smelling like smoke! King Neb. had praised God after that event. I would hope we all would at that point. Yet, here he is in Ch. 4 of Daniel differentiating between his god and Daniel's Holy God.

Yes, this same situation is one of my major frustrations right now. I get IT. Why doesn't he/she get IT? I walk the walk, talk the talk. All you have to do is watch me, and then you'll get IT too. Right? I mean I work hard at showing you. Can ya'll just feel my face hit the concrete floor as I take the fall of pride?

Here is Moore's little nugget of wisdom: You might get IT, but you cannot force IT in someone else. Someone else getting IT takes "God the Father to ordain it. Jesus to open it. The Holy Spirit to infuse IT. By the way she asks, "Wasn't there a time when you didn't get IT?"

She says we should pray for these people who don't get IT...not just pray, but specifically pray Luke 24:25 ...that He open their minds to understand the Scriptures.

Tasered!!! I mean I could feel the tttttzzzz of the current as it brought me to an all-system shut down. After a few seconds of not even breathing, I could slowly feel the warm, comforting, all most drug-like feel of Truth working its way through me...healing me, settling me, rearranging me...slowly but profoundly.

I didn't get IT for 30 years. How dare I be so impatient and hard against others who are still struggling (oh what a struggle) to get IT.

I started praying last night that God would let me loose and set me free from some things. Low and behold He did. I mean He really did. God, I am so sorry that I require You to use taser guns to get my attention. Maybe one day I'll just read your Word and get IT myself on the first pass. In the meantime, tase me, shake me...get the cow prod...whatever IT takes!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome post!! kristen

    ReplyDelete