Thursday, December 3, 2009

Earthquake or Earth Shattering?

Sometimes things that seem so simple are my biggest struggle. For example, scripture says there are some people and some relationships you are to avoid, stay away from, sometimes run from. Scripture also says the greatest command is to love...even your enemies. So, how do you love when you have to end a relationship? How do you witness to that person whose lifestyle is more immoral than you can imagine? Oh sure, in your mind you say sin is sin. I am no better. However, love is a state of doing not just a state of being.

So, how do you bridge this gap? My pastor, who I firmly believe has been put on this earth to keep me grounded in the Word of God and nowhere else, made closing comments recently at the end of a song service that tilted the planet...my planet anyway. He was speaking of scripture that tells us to remove sin from our lives and to stay away from those who don't remove sin from their lives. He went on to say there are just some people you cannot be friends with. I immediately thought...here we go...how can you love your enemy and not be friends with someone?

Then he said it, and the light came on...literally! You may not be able to be friends with someone, but you do not change your witness. As Christians, the light of Christ should shine through us at all times, in all circumstances, with all people. You may not be able to befriend everyone, but you must be a witness for Christ to everyone!!!

Wow! Do you get that? Does that changes things for you in a dramatic way? It certainly does for me. Some people don't want friendship from me. Some I can't maintain a friendship with because they just will not work to remove sin from their lives...at least letting it be a work in progress. BUT I can, should, must, will remain a witness for Christ to that person!

Friend....witness...not necessarily the same thing!!! Wow! I love it when scripture finally sinks into my brain cells! Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment