Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Spiritually ADD

At times, I have spiritual attention deficit disorder. Can you relate? You are so distracted, worried, or hurried you realize hours have gone by and you haven't prayed or praised the Holy of Holy? For some, it may be days even. I have learned to tell when the spiritual ADD has kicked in. I can tell as soon as my eyes open. If I wake up feeling things, all is well. However, if I wake up thinking instead of feeling...look out!

You know what I mean. Instead of your first thoughts being praise of our Lord, you are running through a mental check list in your head: I need to go here. I need to call so-and-so. I have a meeting. I hope I don't have to speak to so-and-so. When my mind is racing, I find it more difficult to praise and/or pray. In addition, I am more easily distracted. Humans by nature are distracted. I think of the movie, Up. In the movie, the dogs will be mid-sentence and shout, "Squirrel." Some days that is me. I am mid-prayer, and my mind shouts, "Year-end inventory today." Another example is being mid-praise. When we are praising God, we are not just with the Highest High. We are on the highest high. Mid-praise I will realize my mind has switched to matrix argument (having an entire argument with someone in your head).

There is a cure for Spiritual ADD...the Holy Spirit! This morning I could tell I was like a plate of Waffle House hash browns: scattered, covered, chunked! My mind was all over the place. I struggled through morning prayer time. I couldn't focus to journal. It took forever to fill up a page...let alone my usual three! Driving to work I thought, "Lord, I don't want to spend a day struggling to be with You." That's when it hit me. Hello??? Ask for help! I stopped then and specifically prayed for God to get me focused, settled, back behind His lead. I want you to know it worked. After a few minutes of praying, I settled right down. Why wouldn't I? Praying to be aware of His presence is definitely in His will. I get that one answered immediately with a big, "Aaaaawww."

But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life. Jude 20-21 Isn't that good?

No comments:

Post a Comment