Sunday, December 6, 2009

Keeping Vigil

I had a conversation last night with my WMU director. She is working on promoting this year's Lottie Moon Christmas Offering at our church. For those of you like me and may have never heard of the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering - it is a fundraiser for international missions. This year's theme is Who's Missing Whose Mission? Isn't that good...doesn't it make you stop and think?

My director was talking about how we keep vigil for people who are missing...lost. We bring flowers, light candles, sing, pray for safe return. We should do those things. My mind automatically thinks of missing children when I think of vigils...the wait for his/her return.

What are we doing for our spiritually lost? They are the ones missing Jesus' mission, my mission, every Christian's mission. Are we holding vigil...praying...expectantly waiting for their admittance into the body of Christ? What am I doing? I can think of name after name of those who should have been on the pew next to me in worship service this morning or name after name of those who should have been in worship services somewhere. It is the Sabbath after all.

Have I forgotten the power of prayer? Have I never fully understood its power and potential?

It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among who I am foremost of all. 1 Timothy 1:15

I, even I, am the Lord, and there is no Savior besides Me. It is I who have declared and saved and proclaimed, and there was no strange god among you; so you are My witnesses, declares the Lord, and I am God. Isaiah 43:11-12

I have been saved. I am His witness. Let the vigil for the lost carry on through me and through you. Who's missing............ Who's praying?

No comments:

Post a Comment